Since 1995, World Book Day has been a worldwide celebration of books and reading. It should come as no surprise that this is one of our favorite days of the year. We’re kicking off the celebration with a week of World Book Day events!
We will be hosting five author read-aloud events for a unique opportunity for your child to see real authors reading their own books.
Plus, don’t miss an exclusive giveaway on our Instagram. Keep reading for the full lineup and check back on social media to enter our giveaway!
Find our read-aloud event schedule below:
Let’s learn a little bit about our first author Francesca Watt.
Francesca Watt – April 18, 11:30 a.m. EST
Reading The Crafty Chameleon live via @francescawattauthor
Francesca lives with her little family near beautiful Cannock Chase in Staffordshire where she writes and illustrates picture books. The Christmas Crew was her fun, festive debut in 2019, followed by The Christmas Crew Activity Book in 2020, and The Crafty Chameleon in August 2021 (Little Unisaur Books). Her latest picture book, All in a Flap (Little Unisaur Books, May 2022) is the first book in the Arnold & Lou series.
When she is not busy writing or drawing you will find her reading, playing Lego with her boys or adventuring in the forest and swinging on tree swings!
While we count down the days to our wild week of words, we’ve selected some of our very favorite children’s books for you to read together with your child. A great way to build your child’s comprehension skills is to talk about the books you read aloud to them. The books below have been curated specifically to spark exciting conversations. Engage in fun discussions with these fan favorites!
- 1) They All Saw a Cat by Brendan Wenzel
- 2) Sam and Dave Dig a Hole by Mac Barnett
- 3) One Day, The End: Short, Very Short, Shorter-Than-Ever Stories by Rebecca Kai Dotlich
- 4) After the Fall (How Humpty Dumpty Got Back Up Again) by Dan Santat
- 5) The Rabbit Listened by Cori Doerrfeld
- 6) The Day you Begin by Jacqueline Woodson
- 7) Same, Same But Different by Jenny Sue Kostecki-Shaw
- 8) Outside In by Deborah Underwood
- 9) Last Stop on Market Street by Matt de la Peña
- 10) It Fell From the Sky by Terry Fan
We hope you enjoy reading some of these books with your child, and that they lead to lively discussions! As with any book, be sure to encourage your child to notice the illustrations as you read, and ask them questions as you go along.
We look forward to seeing you at our read-aloud events!